Friday, January 30, 2009

Birthday dinner and wishes...

My original plans of a day in NYC with husband ended up axed. I clicked thru our many weather channels the week before, hoping for one to give me some hope. Hope that the weather would be lovely. Lovely and bearable for a saturday in January. I had someone to watch the kid already lined up. I could practically taste my dinner at candle 79. well at least envision it. smell it. ahhh. It would be our first outing without the kid. And though i dreaded leaving him, I was looking forward to walking the streets of NYC, going into stores without pushing a stroller or carrying his massive carrier, and eating a long slow meal without asking for the check before I had even taken my last bite.

"Do you think one will tell you something vastly different from the others?" husband asks as I go to channel 101, instead of 49. 49 was not sounding good. 101 may give me some hope.

"Maybe! I mean, not everyone reads that little doppler thingy the same. The digital read on 101 may be different than Jim Cantori on 49. He's not the expert," I say.

Husband flips open his mac saying "lets settle this right now," and goes onto at least three weather websites in a matter of 3 minutes. No more channel flipping for me.

"See? They all basically say the same thing. Ice. Snow. More in NYC than here. and a lot of wind. We can try it if you want, but I don't think its going to be enjoyable. Honestly. We should postpone or make other plans," He tells me.

"Postpone?! to when?! Michelle is busy. she can't just watch him on a whim. And i mean, its winter. There isn't really a good time to postpone TO."

"We'll go in the spring then. It will be warmer. Nicer. Lets do it then."

"But then its not my birthday. and i know there is no way you will agree to eat at a vegan restaurant, in NYC no less, unless its MY birthday. Otherwise, you'll say its unfair for me to ask you to eat vegan food because you will go hungry. So unless its MY birthday, you either A. won't do it, or B. do it and give me a lot of grief, therefore ruining my meal. The meal I really really want and - "

"I will be FINE with it. I promise," he interjects. "Really. it will be YOUR day. even if its July. we'll go eat at this hippy podunk vegan joint you're so desperate to go to and i'll eat whatever and act like i like it, ok? I promise."

"Fine. I'll hold you to it." I respond, still pouting.

"So, what do you want to do instead?" He asks.

Eye roll. "YOU are supposed to do that. plan something. for me," I whined.

"So let me get this straight. You planned a day for us to have to ourselves in NYC, kid free, for your birthday. Those plans are out. AND Now you're annoyed that i'm wanting to know what you want to do instead, because I should be planning it myself, when i didn't even plan it in the first place...? is this right?" he asks, puzzled a bit and obvoiusly trying to make a point.

"Ok Fine. You have a point," I admit. "But now that my plans are out. You take over. and make it all better."

What did we end up doing? Husband took me to Lemongrass in King of Prussia, PA. I'd been yaking about this place for ages, wanting to try it, not even real sure where it was, but husband wasn't sure if he'd like thai food and so we always ended up somewhere else when we were in that area. But - we loved it! Awesome food. Their tofu and vegetable pad thai rocked the house. and husband liked whatever crap he ordered too ha. and our little man, the kid, was along and loved the place as well. He sat in a highchair like a big kid, watched the waitress in amazement, and was a little angel the whole time. And husband knew a perfect way to finish out our evening - he took me to whole foods for vegan cupcakes and treats:)

So, did i have a good birthday? Yes. Husband did good. Another year older. Another year ahead of me to look forward to. I anticipate great things! Next birthday is 30 - yikes! But i'm excited. Me and my BFF Robin are making major 30th birthday celebration plans and I can't wait! We're not talking meeting up for a nice dinner and getting our nails done. We're talking, go on a trip, leave the kids with husbands, and poof! girls gone wild! No No - this is misleading, clearly! How about Girls Gone Away! girls gone away for a long weekend of relaxin' and good ole fun:)

"Well, did you have a good birthday hon?" he asks.

"Oh yea, it was great. And the best part? knowing you had to do it all again in July."

1 comment:

Vicki said...

You DID have a great b-day! And you actually scored due to the crappy weather b/c you get TWO great dinners and you will enjoy NYC more in the spring, I'm sure.